Follow

First, the good news: Chuck is doing very well with his liver transplant. April 29 will mark the one year anniversary of his transplant at the Mayo Clinic. He's showing no signs of rejection, is off 80% of his medications, and his follow up tests and visits show him to be a super star. He's back to photographing birds every morning with my son, even in minus 5 degree weather, so that pretty much says it all. My avatar pics are of his birds.

Now for the bad news: I've mentioned before having a surface melanoma on my arm removed in October of 2021. An "in situ" mole of no consequence where all the melanoma 'was removed successfully'. This was a result of having a dozen beauty marks on both arms blow up like balloons after the 2nd Covid shot, grow scabs on them, and when the scab fell off, the beauty mark disappeared entirely. Except for the one. And all of it was not successfully removed after all, as a few cells must've escaped into my body and caused metastatic stage 4 cancer in my lymph nodes, liver, and bones. I went to the ER 3 weeks ago for excruciating pain in my left side where a CT scan with contrast was ordered. The cancer was discovered at that time, and I've spent the last 2 weeks in testing. The cancer is not in my brain, thank God.

The Oncologist told me there is immunotherapy available now for malignant melanoma. 2 types at once, administered via IV (no port) every 3 weeks x4. That's the goal. To turn on my immune system to kill off this cancer. 50% of immunotherapy patients are alive 2 years later. Idk what the percentage is at the 5 year mark. I've avoided doing research bc I'm overwhelmed enough already.

I'm having tremendous pain in my spine, ribs and liver, where the cancer is the worst. The Oncologist gave me some heavy duty pain meds and told me to wait it out until the IV starts kicking in to relieve my pain. He said I would live less than 2 months without treatment so my first treatment is tomorrow morning. The side effects can be gnarly and these infusions WILL kick my butt, he said. I'm ready, I think. Ain't no beauty mark gonna take ME down at 65! 😑

I'm useless at home, so Chuck is doing everything. Laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, driving to appointments. I have a housekeeper coming in to do the heavy cleaning and my stepson and his wife are cooking 7 dinners for us and bringing them by on Saturday. I have to make sure HE'S not overworked during this treatment process to where he gets sick. He's already overcome with worry and shock over all this as it is. I'll ask my stepson to repeat that meal making plan, too...they want to help & we need help.

We've had a lot to deal with the past year, and now my issues, which were there all along, just not apparent until recently. We wouldn't have been able to handle TWO of us sick at once anyway, so this is how it had to play out, I suppose.

The one bright spot I hold onto here is the dime I found on the floor of the ER room I'd been in ALL DAY where there was no dime on the floor. And when the gal was wheeling me back into the room from the CT scan, there it was. I kicked it across the floor to Chuck and he said, "what's that?" I said, "it's a dime from dad, telling me everything will be alright." He was speechless. Dad used to send me dimes all the time after he died in 2015, but stopped the past few years. I have a whole piggy bank full of them.

We can use all the prayers we can get right now, friends. I believe in prayers, in miracles and in signs from our deceased loved ones that they are with us in tough times. If you do too, please send up some prayers for Chuck and I right now.

Many thanks.

1 2 3 4 5
The bouquet is so pretty! Love the autumn oranges!!!!
(1)

Thanks everyone, I had a great time making the bouquet and am now working on framed Christmas Santa sleigh's with jewels on a black velvet background. Keeps me occupied and using my creativity.
(7)

Oh Lea the bouquet is amazing. You did a great job mixing the vintage items with the flowers. So glad you were able to create such a unique and beautiful piece.
(3)

What an exquisite piece of art you created for your daughter to carry. You can certainly tell that it's made with love.
(3)

Lea, that is gorgeous! I couldn't picture what you were going to make but now that I have seen it, just wow!
(3)

Lea,

You do very pretty work. It’s such an exciting time for your family. Thanks for sharing with us.
(2)

What a unique and gorgeous bouquet! Your daughter is blessed to get to carry something so special and you’re quite the artist, just lovely!
(2)

Exquisite Lea!
So happy for you, and thanking the Lord for you!
(2)

What a magnificent bouquet 💐 💐 💐!
(3)

Lea, the bouquet is just beautiful. I too am thankful you will be there.
(2)

I'm impressed, lea, The bouquet is absolutely lovely and your outfit sounds awesome. You are a talented and very strong lady and an encouragement to others. Bless God for his mercies.

Bring on the bling!!!! ❇❇❇
(4)

The bouquet is gorgeous Lea. Love the bling in the bouquet it is truly a work of art.
(2)

You're so welcome.

I'm so thrilled and thankful to God that you'll be there.

Exquisite! Yes! That's the word for the bouquet!
(1)

I think your outfit sounds perfect, Lea.
Saw the bouquet and it is exquisite!
(1)

Cxmoody was kind enough to create a link to share so everyone can see a few photos of the bouquet I created for my daughter's wedding.

http://bit.ly/BouquetbyLea

Thanks to Colleen and thanks to God I was able to make this and that I'm still here to attend her wedding!! Hope you like it.

😊
(9)

I love black with the jacket with silver rhinestones. Sounds fantastic.
(2)

WOW, Lea, your outfit sounds stunning...You will look GORGEOUS!!!
(1)

Ty cxmoody. I had to wear something close fitting around my ankles...no voluminous fabric because then I can't see where I'm going. Trying to walk around in that first gown was very difficult! The last thing I need is a fall at her wedding!

I put the bouquet in a Lenox vase I had which I filled with marbles to add weight to it. That will be the perfect vessel to house it in after the ceremony and she can leave it on the bride/grooms table. I wish I could post a pic but they're too big for the avatar 😏
(0)

Your outfit sounds beautiful! I’m sure you will look very elegant!

So good to hear that the bouquet turned out so well! What a lovely keepsake that will be for your daughter. 🩷 👰🏻‍♀️🤵🏻‍♂️ 💙
(2)

Cxmoody.......🤣....a long black skirt, and a black shell with a jacket that has silver rhinestones on it. I'm very comfortable in it AND it looks great on. I finished her jewelry and silk flower bouquet and it turned out better than expected. 😁
(9)

Sooo happy to know that you’ll be at this wedding!

Which dress did you decide on? ◡̈
(2)

That's awesome lea, time goes by quick! I've got my sons wedding next September to think about. I'm like oh I have a year to plan. But it comes quick I'm sure.
(2)

Thank you Ty. I'm very excited about DDs wedding coming up in 2 months! Time flies. I've even blinged up my cane for some extra sparkle on that day.
(7)

Lea,

Hope this finds you well and happily preparing for your daughter's wedding.

Tynagh
(2)

Lea,

You’ll be beautiful no matter what you wear!
(4)

Nothing somber for me, ITRR! 😂🤣 The silver glitter and rhinestone jewelry takes care of that possibility. Ha!

DD said I should wear whatever I want. She figured I'd choose something from my closet since she didn't think I'd be up to shopping and trying on gowns,etc. Online shopping has proven to be not all it's cracked up to be. The various fancy jackets I already have are all gorgeous, really. I'll have to try them all on and decide which outfit I feel best in for a long day, and go from there.
(6)

I wore black velvet to stand up for my best friend and she borrowed my black leather dress to stand up for a friend. So, black at weddings is okay as long as it is not a somber outfit. IME & O.
(1)

Black is my favorite color(always has been and yes I know it's not technically a color)and when my late husband asked me to marry him, I responded yes, but only if I can wear black and it can be short(as I was a size 5 back then and had killer legs).
He responded, Honey I don't care what you wear as long as you marry me.
And so I wore a very short black dress(and looked fabulous I might add)and had my 15 year old daughter at the time wear a short white dress, and my son and husband wore black tuxes with white shirts.

So I will also say to wear your black and silver ensemble as that is what you say is "you." And I'm sure your daughter like my husband won't care what you wear, as long as you're able to be there.
(7)

Lea, all your possible wedding finery must be beautiful! I vote for the black and silver that you love. BUT - please check with the bride first to find out how she feels about your wearing black to her wedding! Some people might be superstitious about that. This happened with a family wedding; the future MIL asked what color the bride would like her to wear. Bride said any color but black! Yet in a wedding of a close friend’s son, the bride requested that everyone wear black so that she in her white dress would stand out in that color scheme.
(0)

Wear what will make you feel happy and confident and comfortable. I know whatever you wear you will look absolutely gorgeous in.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter