Follow

In NYS, Mom is now in Assisted Living, which is requiring that I apply for Community Medicaid for her. I need help with the application. It's confusing, I don't know where her birth certificate is, what in the world does this question mean, I have no clue what the answer to that question is. There are agencies that will help with these applications but they cost THOUSANDS of dollars to hire those agencies. If people had thousands of dollars to spend on help to apply for Medicaid, they wouldn't need Medicaid. I keep being referred to agencies and telephone numbers that "might be able to help" who all say, "Sorry, can't help, but here's another number to another agency that will also say they can't help." I am DISGUSTED with the world today. Thoroughly DISGUSTED. Everything is far too complicated, and driven by Money, Money, Money.

Find Care & Housing
I'm thinking they mean , what city your mom was born in, maybe?
(0)

Call your Social Service office and make an appt with a Medicaid caseworker. The one Mom had took me thru everything. Actually plugged the info into the computer while asking me questions. Then gave me a list of info that was needed to complete the application which had to be done within 90 days of application.
(4)

Typically Assisted Living facilities have a social worker on their payroll that should be able to walk you through the Medicaid process.
Otherwise like JoAnn said below, go to your local Social Service office and they will walk you through the process as well.
(0)

You don't need to pay anyone to help you fill it out. Print out more than one copy and use one as a "scratch" sheet. Then fill in the "final" one and send it in. Medicaid will send it back to you if they have any questions. You will need to respond immediately as it is still time sensitive (and they will need your response within 7 days or else you'll have to reapply and therefore "go back to the end of the line" and the app clock resets. They will tell you what more "proofs" they need. The letter should have a number to contact them with questions. If not, contact a social worker for your Mom's county.
(2)

When we lived in NYS, and my husband worked for the county office for the aging, they had a staff member who helped with this.
(2)

Excellent observation: "If people had thousands of dollars to spend on help to apply for Medicaid, they wouldn't need Medicaid." So true, so true! And you're also spot on about telephone trees of agencies and people who can't really help and keep referring us on to more agencies/people who can't help. I absolutely understand--and share--your frustration and disgust.

I'm 87 which probably (partially) explains why I agree that everything has gotten far too complicated and driven by MONEY. Welcome to America and Vulture Capitalism! BTW, weren't computers supposed to make life easier and LESS complicated? Well, in theory maybe. In practice, definitely not so much!
(1)

Your local dept of social services agency or an community advocacy agency will help. It will mean reflection on your pride, patience and time in seeking help in this way but the pay off is worth it.
(0)

The local Dept. of Social Services won't help unless Mom is with me because she does not have a POA. I literally do not have TIME to make an appointment and sit down there in that office dealing with the chaos of it with my mom who will become highly agitated at all the noise and movement around her. And the Community Advocacy agency? Which? I've talked to them all. They either do the same "here's another number call" thing, or tell me Mom won't qualify for Community Medicaid. She OWNS NOTHING. All her income goes to her AL rent. I have so had it with this process. It makes no sense. At all.
(0)

A social worker at the local hospital Will do this for you, also a social worker from the state elderly services department will as well. I’m surprised the AL facility doesn’t have a social worker on staff, that should be part of their job as well.
(0)

Oh mommabeans, I hear you. Only someone who has tackled those impossible to understand Medicaid questions knows your frustration.
(0)

As suggested, a Social Worker can help but be on top of them. In my State you have 90days to spend down, get info needed to Caseworker and find a place. I emailed all my info directly to the Caseworker. Mom paid privately for May and June. Gave me time to get everything done. June she was spent down, proved it to the caseworker and verified he had all the info needed and Medicaid started July 1st.

Let the SW guide you but know the process.
(0)

I’m in Tampa and I found a local resource center that caters to women in need(all areas of life) who blessed us with filling it out and submitting it as we sat in her office. I pray your city will have a like service
(0)

The Social Worker at the assisted living should be able to help. Community based Medicaid is a different application than long-term care Medicaid. In NYS there are a Medicaid approved assisted living facilities but most are private pay. I am assuming your mother iis currently in a a Medicaid assisted living facility.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter